Thursday, July 30, 2009

taco salad

When I saw the forecast leading up to this heat wave I started to think about food. Cooking is the last thing I want to do when it's hot. I also don't have a grill so everything must be done in the kitchen. I instantly decided taco salad, yogurt, and cabbage salad were the answers... I went ahead and prepared some more cabbage salad (I soak the cabbage in some hot water - the only 'cooking' involved) and started working on the taco salad. The only preparations I had were soaking and cooking the beans (red) and sautéing the onion and red pepper. And the only thing I needed to buy was salsa...

Taco salad:

1-2 handfuls of corn chips
1 c. beans (red, black, pinto..)
1-2 forkfuls of sautéed onions & peppers
gratings of cheese (colby, cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack ...)

microwave for 1-2 minutes to melt cheese (if desired)

large serving of fresh greens
couple of large globs of salsa (acts as a dressing)
1 t. soar cream
fresh tomatoes, cilantro, or cooked corn etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment