Monday, July 6, 2009

slaw

It's time to learn to appreciate slaw. As a child and young adult I turned up my nose at it. Yuck! (Probably because the traditional recipe is creamy and I was never a fan of creamy). But slaws can made in a myriad of ways. I like to slice up some cabbage and throw in grated or finely chopped veggies and fruit and dress with a home made vinaigrette. The slaw above is full of asian flavors: ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, cilantro, and garlic. After shredding cabbage, I soak it in boiling water for 5 minutes to soften and then drain. Add a little salt and/or vinegar before serving after it's sat for a while. This is one of my favorite bits about slaw (esp. cooking for one) is that slaw is a salad that keeps in the fridge. Nothing easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment