Wednesday, July 8, 2009

apple tart

Another father's day brunch treat! My recipe makes two, so I had a second pastry waiting and I decided it would be a tasty independence day treat. The one fault with this logic is it is a French style tart, most commonly called tarte tartin, however I justified it because without French financial support, the patriots would not have been able to afford the war that led to our independence.

The recipe is very simple: start with a delectable pastry recipe. I suggest a pate brisse. The pastry becomes ever so more important in this application than in a pie. Roll pastry into a rectangle (one which will fit onto a cookie sheet) and let rest in fridge for 20 minutes. Meanwhile core, slice, and peel apples. I used 2 varieties -a tart and a sweet- which I alternated in the layering (about 4 medium apples). I have an apple corer/slicer/peeler which gives me these consistently thin slices. The peeler leaves some peel on, but that's okay with me. Stack slices in rows, like seen above, alternating varieties, if desired. Sprinkle top with sugar. Bake in a 375 deg. F oven for 45 minutes. While baking set a pot to boil with 1 c. water, 1 c. sugar, and leftover apple bits (cores & peels). Boil down to a concentrated glaze. When tart is done baking, brush lightly with the glaze (don't layer it on thickly because it will become a sheet of sticky candy). Let cool, cut into squares and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment