Monday, March 9, 2009

Cooking with Clara


I love these videos of depression cooking with Clara. I don't know if I will make any of her recipes but it is inspiring to rethink how we eat. They cooked their own bread, grew their own vegetables (and saved seeds from the veggies), and ate lots of potatoes. My grandmother, who passed away last year at age 93, served potatoes with every meal. Usually boiled in salt water. As a kid, I got in trouble for not knowing where our potato pan was (in fact we didn't have one and I still don't know what one is, but she thought it was preposterous that someone wouldn't have a potato pan). Learn more about Clara here.

2 comments:

  1. So when I first read this I thought "hmm, cooking while you're depressed seems like a weird topic". But then it clicked - depression-era cooking...OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking can lift me from a depression, but it is usually the last thing I want to do...

    ReplyDelete