Tuesday, June 2, 2009

spinach salad with candied nuts

Last week I got the prettiest spinach I have ever seen in my csa box. It comes from a farm not too far away and looks perfect. I thought such special greens deserved a special preparation and I decided to make candied nuts. During family celebrations it is not uncommon to have candied nuts on a salad - usually pecans or slivered almonds. I had walnuts so that is what I used. For the salad I added feta and wanted to add fresh apricots, but they didn't seem quite ripe so I substituted dried cranberries. Any seasonal fruit works well with spinach, the beauty is found in the contrast of the bitterness of spinach and the sweetness of the fruit. I dressed the salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Candied nuts for salads

2 T. sugar
1 c. nuts

Place sugar and nuts in large sauce pan (large enough for only 1 layer) with heat on med-high. Continually stir the sugar and nuts. In a few minutes the sugar will start to melt and coat the nuts. When sugar is all melted, pour mixture onto waxed paper to cool. If nuts are whole, you may way to chop before or after sugaring. Enjoy on your salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment