Friday, April 16, 2010

kale raab stirfry

The latest food box came with another vegetable in which I was unfamiliar: kale raab. I found little information about this vegetable, but it is apparently over-wintered kale. The flyer with the box suggested a recipe that involved blanching. I decided to fashion a stir-fry, but blanched the kale first (this is supposed to make it less bitter, but it tasted sweet to me). I used the whole plant: stems, leaves, and flowers. The stir fry was delicious, fresh, and crisp.

Kale Raab stirfry
2 t. oil (high smoke point, I use grapeseed oil)
1 bunch kale raab
5 oz. chicken
1 sm. head broccoli
1-2 spring onions
1 sm. zucchini
1 red bell pepper
2 T. soy sauce
brown rice, to serve

1. Clean and chop all vegetables into bite size pieces. Prepare chicken, or other protein (I used some pre-cooked chicken from a roasted chicken) by chopping and tearing into bite size pieces.
2. Blanch kale raab in boiling water.
3. When kale is in water bath, begin to heat wok. When wok is hot, add oil. Spread around surface and begin to cook/crisp chicken (or other protein). Add broccoli, onions, zucchini, and red bell pepper. Let cook for 1-2 minutes. Add drained kale raab. Mix well. Cook for a few minutes (taste kale raab to determine when it's cooked). Dash with soy sauce.
4. Serve with brown rice.

Yield: 2-4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment