Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Food Budget

Like many people these days, I have a pretty tight budget but I like to eat well. I consider my heavy reliance on staples, buying few processed foods and rarely eating out as part of my savings, but I also prefer organic (although I don't eat 100% organic), higher quality ingredients, and lots of fresh produce might be counter-balancing these cost savings measures. There are many reasons that I prefer organic and un-processed food but my strongest motivation is my belief in its health effects and any cost increase I consider a long term investment in my health. I recently ran across this USDA food plan chart on typical costs based on sex/age/type of plan. I am happy to see my typical budget falls between the thrifty plan and low-cost plan. I guess I'm doing all right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment