Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My favorite cookies!

My favorite cookies are molasses. It seems everyone has a different opinion on what that is, but to me they are chewy cookies with a strong flavor of blackstrap molasses and a bit spicy. I have made many different molasses cookie recipes (a friend and I made a new recipe the night before the first day of term in grad school), but this is one of my favorites and will be well enjoyed by my friends and family!

Molasses Cookies:

3/4 c. butter, melted
1 c. sugar (white or brown)
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 c. powdered sugar

1. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in the molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger; blend into the molasses mixture. Cover, and chill dough for 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 375 deg. F. Roll dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the powdered sugar. Place cookies 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Chill unused dough while baking other cookies.

3. Bake for 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven, until tops are cracked. Cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment