Wednesday, August 12, 2009

pumpkin bread

This week it's quite a bit cooler and reminiscent of fall. I'm not ready for a northwest fall, but I've enjoyed vegetable soup almost everyday and thought it's time to pull out some cooler weather favorites (looks summer-y next week!). Upon searching for something in the freezer I came across about 1 c.* of roasted pumpkin puree leftover from a white pumpkin I bought last October. My solution was to make pumpkin bread! In the process I finished the molasses and dried cranberries. I feel such satisfaction and accomplishment when I use up infrequently used items, such as molasses and pumpkin puree.

Pumpkin Molasses Bread
1 c. oil
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. blackstrap molasses
2 eggs
2 c. pumpkin
1 c. dates/nuts/raisins
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. cloves
2 t. soda
3 1/2 t. cinnamon
oats (optional)
3 T. dark rum (optional)

Mix all ingredients together (except the oats) and pour into pans. Sprinkle oats over tops. Bake at 350 deg. F for 1 hour in greased pans. Yield 3 small loaves or 2 medium loaves or 8 tiny loaves (like above) or lots of muffins.

*I made 1/2 this recipe and baked in 3 tiny loaf pans, that's why it overflowed - start checking at 50 min for doneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment