Friday, February 5, 2010

collard greens

One of the things I like about vegetable delivery are the variety of items delivered. Collards are something I've eaten before (after all I lived in the south for four years) but it something I've never purchased or prepared. In my box was included this recipe, which is also all over the internet and in Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry.

Citrus Collards
sea salt
2 lg. bunches collard greens, chiffonade and cleaned
1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 c. raisins
1/3 c. orange juice

1. In a large pot, bring salted water to boil. Add the collards and cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes. Remove collards from heat and quickly plunge into bowl of ice water. Drain.
2. In saute pan, heat olive oil and garlic to medium. Saute one minute. Add collards, raisins, and 1/2 t. salt. Saute for 3 minutes. Add orange juice and heat for 15 seconds. Do not overcook! Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment